Monday, July 13, 2015

Utah Hikes: Battle Creek Falls

Battle Creek Falls is one of the best hikes to do with kids in Utah County! It is located in Pleasant Grove and you can park right next to the trail head because it's just right of Kiwanis Park. The entire hike will take about an hour, depending on how much you like to sitesee and how fast you are.

Distance: 1.2 miles round-trip
Difficulty: Easy (with a steeper section at the end)
Kid-Friendly: Yes!
Toddler-Friendly: Yes!
Baby-Friendly: Yes!
Stroller-Friendly: No

We did this hike one morning before my husband went to work. We were definitely not alone on the hike, but it didn't feel crowded at all, either. The beginning of the trail is much like the first picture: very flat and rocky. My three-year-old did the whole hike by himself, but the rocks were a bit much for my 18-month-old and we carried him for most of it.


The last hundred yards or so are pretty steep. I was towing my 28-pound son so I got a workout, but like I said, our barely three-year-old did the whole hike by himself (with my husband nearby in case he tripped). Once we got to the falls, there were more people, some of them even repelling down the falls! There are plenty of places to sit and enjoy the view, so even though there were a lot of people, we still didn't feel too crowded. We stopped there and had a snack and then made the trek back, which is mostly downhill and super easy.

We saw a ton of these beautiful little butterflies along the hike and the boys had fun chasing them and then being very still so mommy could take a picture. :)


Beware this little fallen tree along the way! My husband took my youngest out there and got stuck for a minute before he figured out his way back. I'm just kidding about the beware. But there is a dry riverbed/ditch underneath, so don't let the very small children venture out alone. It would make for a pretty good fall. But luckily, this is not part of the hike. You can pass right by it, which is what I opted to do.

There is only one bridge, which my little guys were super excited about. It's wide enough that they can do it alone and the fall wouldn't be the worst ever if they tripped.

1 comment:

  1. Challenging trail for kids but I think it gave much fun with the hike especially when they arrived @ Battle Creek Falls. Thanks for sharing Becky! It's an inspirational and informative blog.

    ReplyDelete