Saturday, August 22, 2015

Book of the Week: I Love You, Mommy by Melanie Joyce

I Love You, Mommy by Melanie Joyce
Shani's Pick

Why I love it: It reminds me of the relationship I have with my kids

Reading to my kids is one of my favorite things to do with them.  It makes me even happier to see them choose to look at and "read" books without any prompting from me.  I remember looking at , reading, and loving books as a young child and I know it was my mom who helped instill this love of reading that has continued into my adult years.

When I was pregnant with my first child, my mom gave me this book.  I hadn't ever heard of it, or seen it anywhere, but after reading it, it became of my favorites.  I Love You, Mommy is a sweet story told from the perspective of a baby bear who, through the course of a day, tells all the things he loves about his mommy: He loves that she smells like sunshine and wildflowers.  He loves that she gives him nice things to eat.  And most of all he loves... well, you'll have to read it to find out.

One of the things I love most about this book is that it celebrates the simple things that mothers do for their children each day that don't always get recognized.  I will admit that I've cried more than a few times while reading this story to my kids, especially when they or I have had a rough day.  It reminds me that my children depend on me and love me and that they are the reason for so much of the joy I experience in my life. 

*Also be sure to read the book I Love You, Daddy (also by Melanie Joyce) to find out all the things that this baby bear loves about his dad.  I guarantee you will love both of these books!

Post by Shani Ogden

No comments:

Post a Comment