Saturday, September 12, 2015

Children's Book of the Week: Belly Button Book! by Sandra Boynton

Belly Button Book! by Sandra Boynton
Shani's Pick

Why I love it: It's a fun and silly book that kids love!

One of my favorite children's book authors is Sandra Boynton.  All her books for babies and toddlers come as board books so they are perfect for little hands and much more durable.  I never have to worry that they pages are going to get ripped out or torn.  It's awesome!

Another thing that is great about these books is that as my daughter starts reading, the words are simple enough that she could learn to read these by herself.

Turns out that I'm not the only one who likes Sandra Boynton's books.  My kids love them as well!  We own about 13 of her books total and they are the books my kids reach for at least half the time they choose a book.  The colors are bright, the illustrations are simple and it is short enough to keep their attention.

The first book of hers that I bought was the Belly Button Book!  It is a silly book about hippos who love their belly buttons.  They all go to Belly Button Beach to show them off to each other.  Boynton uses lots of rhyme throughout her books, which makes for a fun, sing-song rhythm as you read.  My daughter has memorized most of the book simply because the rhyme makes it so easy to remember.  There's also a little bit of humor that kids generally don't catch onto and makes it a fun read for adults as well!

 Post by Shani Ogden

2 comments:

  1. Hey we love this book, my kids have torn it up so much, I need to buy a new one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Same here. The cover is close to falling off and some of the pages have been used as a teething toy... Thank goodness it's so inexpensive to replace (I bought mine on Amazon for around $4).

    ReplyDelete